Thursday, July 19, 2012

Reflecting:Day 2

AWESOME day! Today was by far my favorite day of camp but sadly also my last. I got to spend pretty much the entire day outside (in the field, hehe it's like I am a journalist) with kids. Before that though I got to go back to Mazzaro's with W and get a cannoli and some coffee. Breakfast of champions. He did not have to work until later so he even came to camp with me for a while. What a guy;)

My first task at camp was to take two girls to film an interview with a gentleman who works with youth in the community through athletic training. He was unbelievable. His work outs were impressive (I took notes for volleyball practices) but more than that, is relationship with the kids,was inspiring. After watching a training session the girls got a chance to talk with two of his students as well as him. It is always good to be reminded how many good people there are in the world.

We got done with the interviews just in time to rush back to camp, have some birthday cake that the director had gotten for one of the kid's birthday, and then head to Mud Wars. That's right, Mud Wars. We toot he kids to have a shoot off. Now this was a cool event, with a cool location right on the water.

But with all these kids it was going to be a task keeping track of them while giving them the freedom to work. But these are photographers we are talking about so a photo was taken to make sure we brought them all home ;)

These kids were pretty lucky, some amazing photogs that a lot of people would kill to learn from we're there just to help out and give them shooting tips.

 

I took a few too to get in on the fun. This is why I usually leave the shooting to the professional.

 

After some friendly competitive shooting was done we were all hot, muddy, and ready to call it a day.

The kid part of the day was fun, but this was my last night in St. Pete and I was hoping to have some adult fun. I was not disappointed. I went back to the house and took a nap while M and W finished up their shifts at the paper. When M got home she told me her friend was coming over with her two wolf dogs for yappy hour. Told ya it was an awesome day!! Not only were the dogs stinking awesome but so was their owner. It was really nice to get to hang out with M and her friend for a while before W got home. She is one of those people I have known casually for a while but is really the hubs friend. Every time we are around her I go home gushing about how much I enjoyed talking to her but it is always at some sort of photo thing. Having a beer with the girls while the dogs played was more my territory.

Eventually W got home and we grilled out. Dinner was delish. When we finished we played a dice game called Faroe. I had never played before (I am sticking with that is why I did so poorly) but am pretty much addicted. Before we knew it, it was 2am. Sadly, time to call it a night. GREAT End to the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment